Saturday, April 1, 2017

When Rejection Is a Good Thing by S.C. Wynne


As an author rejection is something that comes with the territory. Publishers can reject you, sometimes reviewers and readers make you feel rejected. There are a million ways you can be made to feel as if what you're doing isn't good enough. What's weird about that is usually there are ten times the people telling you they enjoy your work, but occasionally you let that one negative voice affect you more.

But I've decided that at this point in my career rejection only means something if it's a consensus of some sort. I have a few books where readers were pissed at me because I wrapped it up too quickly. If it was one reader, I'd probably ignore it. But when there are a lot of readers who felt cheated by an ending, well then I'd be stupid not to listen.

However, when it comes to a rejection by a publisher, I've learned that doesn't mean as much. My two most successful books to date are two stories that were passed on by one particular publisher. But I've earned double or triple what I probably would have, by self-publishing those two stories. And that means that the rejection of that publisher was not the consensus. If the books had bombed, then the publisher's rejections would have meant more to me. But they didn't, and I take a lesson in that. The buying public is the only consensus I truly care about.

I always remember Marie Force once said that the best thing that ever happened to her was when Harlequin rejected her first story. She's gone on to enjoy an amazing writing career. I'll take a page from her book and look at any possible rejection as a stepping stone to something even more amazing around the bend.

S.C.
www.sc-wynne.com

No comments:

Post a Comment